Tables in eLearn
Creating Accessible Tables in eLearn
Tables are a great way to organize and share data. However, without proper headings, a person using a screen reader can lose track of where they are in a table. Adding table headers can help those using screen readers know where they are.
- Use tables for data only – never use tables for page layout.
- Try to avoid spanning or merging table cells.
- Don’t leave blank cells.
- Be aware of contrast when shading cell backgrounds.
How to add Table Headers in eLearn
- Create your Table
- Highlight the header cells (you can highlight the entire row)
- Right click on highlighted cells
- Choose: Cell → Table Cell Properties
- Under the General tab
- Use the drop down menu for Cell Type
- Select Header