Remote Exams Toolkit
The college has annonced spring & summer classes will be offered in either an online or remote format. Testing Centers will not be open on campus for any exams.
Instructors must determine how they will conduct their exams provide grades to students. Please consider the following options:
- Provide online exams
- Ask students to submit final work online
- Provide alternatives that work for your class
Please notify your students how you plan to conduct your exams and collect work.
- Instructors can use their Gmail accounts to distribute and collect exams. Consider whether the exam should be an open book exam or not.
Alternative Assessment Options
- Decrease the weight of high stakes exams if they represent a significant portion of the overall course grade
- Consider assessing students’ achievement of stated course learning outcomes based primarily on prior work
- Consider using another method to assess students’ achievement of stated course learning outcomes, such as:
- personal reflection on learning
- summary video
- research proposal
- annotated bibliography or article review
- analysis of data
- Consider granting credit and assigning the final grade based on all course performance and grading prior to final exam (e.g. omit the final exam from grade calculations). In this case, instructors should provide students who want to take the final the option of doing so.
Respondus 4.0 is an exam authoring tool available for Windows PC only. Instructors can create, import and manage exams in eLearn and other learning management systems.
Specifically, Respondus makes it possible to:
- Download publisher test question banks
- Import test questions created in word processors
- Create exams based on test question banks
- Upload exams to an eLearn course
Learn More about creating exams using Respondus.
Respondus Lockdown Browser
Lockdown Browser is a custom browser that locks down the testing environment within eLearn. Once students begin an exam they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL or access other applications until the exam is submitted for grading. Respondus lockdown browser is available for download at the same sources listed above.
Learn more about Respondus Lockdown Browser.
Respondus Monitor is a no-cost web camera test proctoring option that works with LockDown Browser. Students are prompted to use their web camera on their Windows or Mac computer before taking an exam. The student is recorded during the test and the instructor receives access to a recording and report on the student’s activity during the test.
Learn more about Respondus Monitor.
Contact the Tech Hub Faculty in the Center for Academic Innovation for help with remote teaching, instructional technology, media support and more.
Building 9, Room 106 - Salem Campus